Keep up to date with the latest digital marketing statistics.
General Internet Statistics
- As of January 2020, 175.4 million out of 272.1 million Indonesians are internet users, accounting for 64% of the population (We Are Social x Hootsuite, 2020).
- 338.2 million internet users are active mobile users (We Are Social x Hootsuite, 2020).
- 160 million of internet users are active social media users (We Are Social x Hootsuite, 2020).
- As of January 2020, 64% of Indonesian internet users use the internet everyday (We Are Social x Hootsuite, 2020).
- Average daily use of the internet counts for 7 hours and 59 minutes (We Are Social x Hootsuite, 2020).
- Average daily use of social media counts for 3 hours and 26 minutes (We Are Social x Hootsuite, 2020).
- 99% of users visited or used a social network or messaging service in January 2020 (We Are Social x Hootsuite, 2020).
- 95% of users are actively engaged with or contributed to social media in the past month of January 2020 (We Are Social x Hootsuite, 2020).
- Due to the pandemic, Indonesia has seen a rise in citizens reading news multiple times a day, with 61% checking COVID-19 related news several times every day via media channels. Online sources have been the preferred method for news updates, with 80% users using social media and 56% users using online search engines (Nielsen, 2020).
- Indonesians engage their phones in many various ways. These are the most popular activities in the Indonesian population:
Use mobile messengers: 96%
Watch videos: 43%
Play games: 37%
Shop online: 55%
Listen to music: 56%
Use mobile banking: 33%
Use mobile map services 75%
(We Are Social x Hootsuite, 2020)
- Total number of mobile connections in Indonesia are 338.2 million (We Are Social x Hootsuite, 2020).
- Mobile connection is at 124% of the entire population of Indonesia
(We Are Social x Hootsuite, 2020).
- Indonesia has an average fixed broadband download speed of 23.32 Mbps and an average mobile download speed of 17.26 Mbps, the country ranks 115 for fixed broadband download speed and ranks 121 for mobile download speed in the world (Speedtest, 2020).
- 45% of Indonesians searched online for a product or service to buy while another 45% visited online retail store with 40% completing their transaction online (Hootsuite x We Are Social, 2018).
- The top online activities in Indonesia have seen an increase since COVID-19 and lockdown measures:
1. Online Streaming
2. Grocery delivery
3. Restaurant delivery
4. Video conferencing: professional
5. Remote learning: children
6. Remote learning: parents
7. Video chat: personal
- Top 10 websites Indonesian visit comprise of mostly search engines and social media sites:
- 94% of smartphone users search in order to find local information from their smart phones (We Are Social x Hootsuite, 2020).
- The top 5 sources of new brand discoveries include search engines (44%), ads on television (36%), social media ads (34%), recommendations/ comments on social media (32%) and brand websites (32%) (We Are Social x Hootsuite, 2020).
- Indonesia Top 10 shopping searches on Google in 2020 are:
- Revenue in the Digital Advertising market in Indonesia amounts to US$1.89 billion in 2019 (We Are Social x Hootsuite, 2020).
- The market's largest segment is Search Advertising with a projected market volume of US$616m in 2021 (Statista, 2021).
- Indonesians’ top 5 searches on Google in 2020 for each category:
1. Kartu Pra Kerja
2. Daftar UMKM
3. Stimulus PLN
4. Omnibus Law
5. Sunda Empire
1. Cara Dafter UMKM
2. Cara Menjadi YouTuber Pemula
3. Cara Menjadi Reseller
4. Cara Membuat Hand Sanitizer
5. Cara Menjadi Terkenal
(Google Trends, 2020).
What is this?
Film / TV Series
1. Tilik (TV Shows)
2. Crash Landing on You (TV Shows)
4. The World of The Married
- The average email marketing behaviour in Indonesia:
Open rate: 23.07%
Click-through rate: 2.17%
Click-to-open rate: 9.41%
Unsubscribe rate: 0.10%
Spam rate: 0.00%
E-Commerce & M-Commerce
- There were 168.3 million consumers that made an online purchase in 2019 (We Are Social x Hootsuite, 2020).
- The value of the market for online consumer goods purchases is US$18.76 billion and the total value of the consumer e-commerce market is US11 billion (We Are Social x Hootsuite, 2020).
- In a survey reviewing Indonesia's online consumer behaviour, Mckinsey & Company reported difference changes in online consumption:
62% are being more careful of purchases
56% are looking for ways to save money/ cash back incentives when shopping
41% are doing more research than before the pandemic on brand and product choices before buying
- There are currently 158.6 million eCommerce users in Indonesia. The expected revenue for 2021 will amount to a total of US$38.20 million in Indonesia (Statista, 2021).
- The market's largest segment is Fashion with a projected market volume of US$12,556m in 2021 (Statista, 2021).
- There are currently 31.65 million eCommerce users in Indonesia, with an additional 22.24 million users expected to be shopping online by 2022. Four years from now, these 43.89 million eCommerce users will spend an average of 375.32 USD online (eShopworld, 2018).
- In a report, Indonesians have increased usage of restaurant and delivery orders, with over 60% of respondents intending to continue their increased spending in the future (Mckinsey & Company, 2020).
- In light of the pandemic, the top 3 criteria for shopping at a new retailer/store/website are value (63%), convenience (62%) and availability (35%) (Mckinsey & Company, 2020).
- The average revenue per user (ARPU) currently amounts to US$240.75 in Indonesia (Statista, 2021).
- Revenue in the Social Media Advertising segment amounts is US$501 million in 2021 (Statista, 2021).
- 65% of social media users in Indonesia use an ad blocking tool (We Are Social x Hootsuite, 2020).
- 97% of consumers have increased their consumption of streaming content in 2019 (Exchange Wire, 2020).
- In a survey, 8 out 10 respondents are willing to see ads in exchange for free streaming video (Exchange Wire, 2020).
- 75% of consumers are more likely to view an ad to completion if it is relevant to the content they’re engaging with (Exchange Wire, 2020).
Watch online videos: 99%
Watch vlogs: 79%
Listen to music on streaming services: 84%
Listen to radio stations: 58%
Listen to podcasts: 43%
Social Media Marketing
Kang Dedi Mulyadi
Presiden Joko Widodo
FMCG Food (88 794 278 fans)
E-commerce (79 918 470 fans)
Beauty (44 319 654 fans)
Auto (42 066 268 fans)
Services (35 238 155 fans)
Line: 50% Play games: 9%
(We Are Social x Hootsuite, 2020).