Keep up to date with the latest digital marketing statistics.
General Internet Statistics
- Singapore has a 84% Internet penetration rate. Out of the 5.83 million population, 4.92 million people use the internet. (Internet World Stats, 2019)
- Singaporeans of all age groups use the Internet, with most users in the 25 - 34 age range at 31%.
15 - 24: 28%
25 - 34: 31%
35 - 44: 21%
- Singaporeans have about 3.3 connected devices each, with Smartphones being the most used device.
- Singaporeans still spend significantly more time on the computer (4h 41m), compared to Smartphones (2h 18m) per day. (We Are Social, 2015)
- Singapore has the highest download broadband speed in the world in January 15, 3rd time in a row since November 2014. (Ookla, 2015)
- Singaporeans who make purchases online still prefer using a computer.
- Singapore has a mobile penetration rate of 152%, with about 8.3m active mobile subscriptions. (We Are Social, 2015)
- Singaporeans from all age group use the internet daily, with 96% of the 25 - 34 age group being the most active.
15 - 24: 93%
25 - 34: 96%
35 - 44: 93%
- About 93% use the Internet everyday. On average, Singaporeans are on the internet for seven hours and nine minutes every day. (We are social x Hootsuite, 2018)
- 98 percent of internet users between the ages of 25 and 34 were accessing the internet every day (Statista, 2016)
- Singaporeans engage their phones in many various ways. Percentage of the total population (adult internet users):
Watch videos 56%
Look for product information 39%
- The demographic breakdown of internet users in Singapore:
Under 25 years: 96%
25 – 34 years: 97%
35 – 44 years: 98%
- Share of web traffic by device based on each device's share of all web pages served to web browsers in Singapore
- About 93% use the Internet everyday. On average, Singaporeans are on the internet for seven hours and nine minutes every day.
- Speedtest data from Q4 2016-Q1 2017 is in, showing that Singapore has an average fixed broadband download speed of 180.61 Mbps and an average mobile download speed of 44.37 Mbps, the country ranks second in the world for both. (Speedtest, 2017)
- 39% made an online purchase via laptop or desktop computer, 39% made an online purchase via a mobile device (We are Social x Hootsuite, 2018)
- Total number of mobile connections 8.61 million
- Mobile connections as a percentage of total population 150%
- Percentage of prepaid mobile connections 39%
- Percentage of postpaid mobile connections 61%
- Percentage of mobile connections that are broadband (3G/4G) 100%
(We are social x Hootsuite, 2018)
There are currently 12,228,800 broadband users (includes all retail broadband Internet access subscriptions (i.e., for connection speeds equal to, or greater than, 256 kbit/s, in one or both directions) provided via wireless platforms such as 3G, 3.5G/HSDPA, 4G/LTE, WiMAX or its equivalent and Wi-Fi hotspots (including Wireless@SG subscriptions) and and 10,758,400 total wireless broadband
- Singaporeans mostly use the internet to help them make purchasing decision, with the highest percentage using it for comparing choices.
Compare choices: 42%
Immediate purchasing of product: 26%
Looking for Inspiration: 25%
- 60% of Singaporeans used a Search Engine to help them in the purchase process before they bought their last product. (Google Barometer, 2014)
- Top 10 websites Singaporeans visit comprise mostly search engines and social media sites:
- Mobile phones and smartphones are the most used devices for browsing the Internet, used by 95% and 91% of the population, respectively (Singapore Business Review, 2018)
- Singaporeans’ top 10 searches on Google in 2018 in order are:
1. World Cup
2. Malaysia Elections
3. Australian Open 2018
4. Najib Razak
5. Stan Lee
6. Thai Cave Rescue
- Millennials will soon become the largest consumer group in Singapore. They generally make informed buying decisions based on online research, social media and peer recommendations.
- Close to half (48%) use the internet to compare prices and features of products
29% of shoppers use the internet to read reviews
26% look for undiscovered brands that may have similar offerings but better prices. (iPrice, 2017)
- When Singaporeans were asked which places to find shopping information:
60% said they used Google
14% said Youtube
12% said social media
- Top 10 websites Singaporeans visit comprise mostly search engines and social media sites:
- 60% Singaporeans prefer to use smartphones when shopping. Desktop shoppers were only half of mobile shoppers with 34%. Meanwhile, 6% still prefer tablets when shopping (iPrice, 2017)
- Revenue in the Digital Advertising market amounts to US$352m in 2019.
The market's largest segment is Search Advertising with a market volume of US$127m in 2019.
The retail industry accounts for the largest revenue share, that is 4.3% of Display Advertising revenues in 2019
Web Design and Optimization
- If the website is not mobile optimized, 42% of singaporeans would use the site on another device. (Google Barometer, 2014)
- Marketers have used marketing techniques to optimize a better user experience.
- Optimizing Email for mobile/browser: 50%
Having a mobile optimized website: 35%
- 28% of Singaporeans would just find another site that work better on mobile. (Google Barometer, 2014)
- 90% of marketers agree that mobile marketing works, with two thirds already incorporating mobile as a regular marketing channel. (Experian, 2013)
- Being mobile optimized is more important then ever as Singaporeans are switching from PC to mobile platforms.
- Computers : 56% (-14% from 2014)
Smartphones: 34% (+34% from 2014)
Tablets: 9% (+8% from 2014)
- Singaporeans check their email at least weekly, with most emails checked on smartphones.
- A 2016 report by Hubspot titled The Asia Pacific Content Marketing Report stated that 57% of all APAC businesses and marketers considered the production of high-quality content as their biggest obstacle to success (Asia Pacific Content Marketing Report, 2016)
E-COMMERCE & M-COMMERCE
- There are currently 3.12 million eCommerce users in Singapore, with an additional 998,000 users expected to be shopping online by 2021. Four years from now, these 4.11 million eCommerce users will spend an average of 1234 USD online (Statista, 2018)
- Total Singaporean eCommerce revenue across all product categories is 3.3 billion USD, and is expected to grow to 5 billion USD by 2021. Electronics and Media is currently the leading product category in Singapore, accounting for 918.1 million USD market share, followed by Toys, Hobby & DIY, which generates 843.7 million USD in sales (eShopworld, 2018)
- Only 1.6% of digital marketers say that they are good at social media marketing. 45.9% say that they are average skills in social media marketing (Global Digital Report 2018)
- 52.4% of digital marketers are the sole digital marketer in their company/department. 11.4% are in a team of 6 or more within their organizations (CoolerInsights, 2018)
- 68% of Singaporeans watch videos online not only on YouTube but also on special media platforms such as Instagram and Facebook. This makes video ads one of the best ways to reach out Singapore customers (MediaOne, 2019)
- Revenue in the Social Media Advertising segment amounts to US$65m in 2019 (Statista, 2018)
- Online advertising now represents only 14.7% of total advertising expenditure in Singapore versus 25.9% in Japan and 53.6% in China
(Global Entertainment and Media Outlook 2017-2021 by PWC)
- 22% of social media users actively ignore content from brands. This is after 24% of the respondents in a survey by Kantar TNS reported that they feel that they are being tracked by online advertising (Kantar, 2018)
- The average revenue per user (ARPU) currently amounts to US$1,296.47 in Singapore (Statista, 2018)
- In 2017 advertisers spent US$302 million on internet advertising in Singapore (PWC Global Entertainment & Media Outlook, 2018)
- As of January 2018, number of social media users in Singapore have grown 9% since January 2017(wearesocial x Hootsuite Global Digital Report 2018)
- The study revealed that mobile phones and smartphones are the most used devices for browsing the Internet, used by 95% and 91% of the population, respectively. Meanwhile, 71% use laptop or desktops, 42% use tablets, 86% use the television, 15% use a device for streaming internet content to their TV, 4% use an e-reader device, whilst 7% use a wearable tech device (HootSuite, 2018)
- 40% of social media users in Singapore use an ad blocking tool (Global Digital Report 2018)
- Top online activities for Singaporeans in at least once a day
Work or business purposes 57%
News and sport updates 53%
Game apps on smartphones and tablets 29%
- 68 per cent of people in Singapore read news more than once a week, while 41 per cent read online articles on either social media (39 per cent) or websites (27 per cent) more than once a week (NLB Study, 2017)
- 60% Singaporeans prefer to use smartphones when shopping, desktop shoppers were only half of mobile shoppers with 34%. Meanwhile, 6% still prefer tablets when shopping (iPrice, 2017)
- In making online purchase, Singaporeans:
20% users buy fast. Only a few minutes of research is needed
16% research for weeks in advance, looking for the best deals
9% research for months